Back problems are common, and hence, people do not take them seriously at first. Only when back pain becomes unbearable on a regular basis, do people seek medical attention. Are you one of the people who made the same mistake and are now dealing with persistent spinal problems? Then you must know how it affects your quality of life even if you are taking the right medication and exercising. Everyday activities, such as housework, become agonizing and difficult. However, there is a way to make the daily chores more bearable. You just need to establish an ideal home environment.
Kindly stick with me to the finish if you want to learn what house improvements to do and how they help. However, before you proceed, keep in mind that these house improvements will not benefit on their own. So, don’t rely only on them and continue taking medications and following your doctor’s instructions. Now that it’s clear, let’s start.
Living Room Considerations
You spend most of your time in the living room. Hence, you should make it a pleasant and painless place to function. For that select the furniture with a suitable height for adequate support. Purchase chairs and couches that will not put a strain on your back. To be sure, try them for a few minutes before bringing them home. During testing, make sure your leg is at a 90-degree angle, your feet are flat on the floor, your knee is on edge for comfortable resting, and it has a firm surface for stability. Taking note of all these things is a must to ensure comfortable resting.
The bedroom is where we go to sleep to get away from the stresses of life. However, if the sleeping arrangements are poor and cause backaches, it may add to the stress. Therefore, for firm back support, you should get a supportive mattress of excellent quality. To attain the best sleeping posture, your bed should have an adjustable footboard and headboards. And your cushion should be thick and firm enough to place under your knees and ease back pain. These modifications will allow you to sleep in natural alignment pleasantly and painlessly.
If you have an outside space, now is the time to make the most of it. You should have a bespoke hot tub constructed by a trusted builder in your backyard. It will allow you to receive hydrotherapy treatment in the comfort of your own home. When coupled with other ongoing treatments, hydrotherapy aids in the relief of back pain to a larger extent. It relieves muscular stress and discomfort while also regulates mobility and strength. Hence, you must start on this outside house renovation project right away.
Bathrooms are wet and slippery; therefore, it’s no surprise that they’re a common cause of home accidents. If you have back problems, the accident might turn into a nightmare. Hence, you should inspect the area, determine what needs fixing, and take appropriate action. In my opinion, the two essential bathroom modifications for back relief are as follows.
- Shower Systems — Even without a backache, getting in and out of the bathing cubicle is difficult. You should therefore install a walk-in shower system in your bathroom. It will be easy to take a shower without having to take a large step in and out of a bathing keg. If the shower system doesn’t suit your budget, then there are other easy fixes as well. You should get grab bars and slip-proof rugs to prevent falls. You may also get attachments for the lower steps. It will make it easier and safer for you to enter and exit the keg.
- Toilet Seat Raiser — Shooting back pain makes manually raising and lowering the toilet seat difficult; it is, therefore, prudent to invest in toilet seat raisers for easier and less painful movements. It will help you to sit and stand without placing too much strain on your lower back. You should also mount handrails on the wall for extra support.
The kitchen requires you to kneel and crouch for a longer duration, placing strain on your back. To avoid bending too much, consider having countertops of varying heights. Similarly, replace kitchen cabinets with pull-out drawers to make it easier to find stuff. It spares you from having to find the object in the dark in a squatting position.
Storage and Organization Ideas
To avoid kneeling for an extended period in search of objects:
- Make sure that all required items are organized in a way that makes them easily accessible.
- Keep seasonal things and unnecessary stuff in high cabinets and the back of the cabinets.
- If necessary, use a step ladder to reach items kept at a higher level.
It will keep your upper body from stretching and straining your spine. However, be sure that the stool is good quality, slip-resistant, and capable of supporting your weight.
That is about home renovation ideas for easing chronic back pain and reducing strain on the spine. The home improvements discussed in the article are not extreme hence do not necessitate a complete house renovation. So, you may easily implement them right away.